Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies are both delicious and nostalgic. The first historical record of this cookie recipe was in 1916. American, George Washington Carver designed three recipes using peanut butter, in a bid to promote peanut crops.
If you grew up in the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s, peanut butter was all the rage. Every kid loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. (We will post a bread recipe soon!)
As for cookies, peanut butter was always at the top of the list, sometimes even edging out old, faithful chocolate chip cookies.
We believe our cookies are even better thanks to our Peetz S.M.A.R.T Blend. Give this recipe a try. Let us know what you think!
Peanut Butter Cookies
- large bowls
- stand mixer with bowl and paddle attachment OR hand held mixer with beaters
- baking sheet
- 3 cups PEETZ S.M.A.R.T Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl whisk together the PEETZ S.M.A.R.T Blend, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment,cream the butter and peanut butter together.
- Add sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition
- Add pure vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients in 2 additions, beating just until combined.
- Rest dough the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop cookies into 1-inch balls.
- Place on the tray keeping space. Flatten each cookie slightly with a fork.
- Bake until lightly browned on the edges, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a baking rack.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for 5 days.
Read our Baking Tips
What can I add to these cookies to change them up a bit?
Here are some variations for you to try.
Peanut Butter Crunch Cookies
Try adding ½ a cup of roasted, chopped salted or unsalted peanuts.
Roasting is easy. Just preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the peanuts on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast for 7-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
Once cooled, chop the peanuts up. Fold them into the dough with a spatula at the final stage.
Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate
Alternatively, you can add ½ cup of mini chocolate chips. Again, fold the chips in at the end of the recipe.
Another option is to add 24 unwrapped Hershey’s Kisses, for a chocolate decadence. Push one Kiss into each cookie at the end of step 11. If you do don’t want the classic fork marks, flatten with the palm of your hand, or the bottom of a drinking glass.
What is Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks?
These sticks are dairy-free plant-based butter substitutes used in both baking and cooking.
Looking to make another drop cookie recipe. Try this one for Chocolate Chip Cookies.