Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts
Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts scream, “Fall is here!” The leaves are crisp under our feet as we walk parks and neighbourhoods, in awe of the changing colours of the trees. And we crave a hot beverage to go with our delectable donuts.
Pumpkin keeps on trending right through Thanksgiving and into the Christmas season. Add these donuts as one of your must have treats. Bake these Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts the S.M.A.R.T way!
Skip the store bought pumpkin pie spice and use our recipe.
Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts
- donut pans
- mixing bowls
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- mixing spoons
- piping bag and large plain tip (optional)
- baking rack
- 2 cups PEETZ S.M.A.R.T Blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs large
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree plain
Pumpkin Spice Sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease three standard doughnut pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together PEETZ S.M.A.R.T Blend, baking powder, spices,and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs until light beaten.
- Add sugar and pumpkin. Whisk.
- Then add oil and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Place ¼ cup of donut batter in each donut hole. Or use a piping bag
- Bake the donuts for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let donuts rest in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking rack and sprinkle liberally with Pumpkin Spice Sugar.
- Cool on rack completely. If, of course, you can stop yourself from eating them!
Tips and Tricks
Read our tips on baking Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts and tools of the trade below.
What is a donut pan?
Donut pans look like muffin pans, except they have a cylinder divider in the middle. This is what helps to form the hole during baking.
Donut pans come in metal or silicone. The material purchased is up to the baker. Look for non-stick pans and dishwasher safe pans, for east baking and clean up.
What is the easiest way to fill a donut pan?
You can fill your donuts pans using a spoon. Truth be told, this can be a bit messy! We like the to place a large, plain piping tip in a piping bag and add the donuts batter. Then, just pipe, while following the circular shape of the pan. Easy peasy!
To fill a piping bag, cut a whole in the bottom of the bag, if required, and place a large sized plain piping tip in the bottom, Twist the bag close to the tip and push bag inward close to the tip. This creates a block to prevent the batter from leaking out.
Next, place the bag in a tall drinking glass. Pull the edges of the bag, securely over the sides of the glass. Now, you are free to fill the bag, without holding it in one hand!
If I want to make an icing for my Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts, which flavours would you suggest?
A brown sugar glaze would be divine! If chocolate is more of your thing– then go for it! The darker the better, as it needs to hold its own against the pumpkin spice flavour.