Best Ever Royal Icing
Best Ever Royal Icing is perfect to use for decorating Christmas Sugar Cookies.
Enjoy time in the kitchen with your family and friends this holiday season. Create sweet memories that will always hark back to the nostalgia of Christmastime.
Best Ever Royal Icing
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 lemon juiced
- food colouring
- Set up a stand mixer using the whisk attachment.
- Whip together the icing sugar and egg whites on high speed.
- Continue to whip for 5 minutes. The icing will become shiny.
- Then, add the lemon juice and continue to whip for 3 minutes more.
Tips for Cookie Decorating Success
Adding a drop of blue food colouring will give an icy cool look to your icing.
How to Make a Paper Cone for Best Ever Royal Icing
- Take a square piece of parchment paper and cut it in half diagonally. This will give you a triangle with two equal sides.
- Roll the left corner to meet the tip of the top of the triangle.
- Hold together with one hand.
- Roll the right side up and around to meet the back of the joining points.
- Fold in the corners to hold the bag together, while leaving the top open.
- Add royal icing.
- Pinch the top together to close.
- Fold the top inward to seal the bag.
- Using scissors, cut a small whole in the bottom.
Other Tools of the Trade
You can also use a piping bag with a number 2 tip for piping.
Avoid Caking Icing
Cover the mixing bowl with a warm, damp cloth to prevent icing from drying out.
The Flooding Technique
Use this technique to thin down your royal icing to “flood” the entire surface of your cookie. But, before you begin, use the Best Ever Royal Icing to pipe a border around the edge of the cookie. This will hold in the “flooding”. The border should be 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the cookie.
Let icing dry completely.
Next, add a little water to your icing to achieve a fluid consistency. Mix with a spatula. Rotate the spatula in a figure eight configuration to release air bubbles.
The icing should be thin enough to drizzle off the spatula when lifted. Let icing rest for 20 seconds before using.
To flood just drizzle from a spoon or use a piping bag with a larger hole. No need for a piping tip! Move the icing outward using a toothpick to ensure the entire surface is covered.
Let dry slightly before adding sprinkles or beads.
Let dry completely before decorating by piping with Best Ever Royal Icing. This will give your cookies an artistic two-dimensional look. You will notice this technique on the Santa Claus cookie above.
Wet on Wet Technique
Before flooded icing dries, pipe decorations on top. This will sink into the royal icing and become part of a solid look. We like this method for adding lights to Christmas tree cookies, in a variety of colours.
Gift Packing Success
Let cookies dry for 24 hours before packaging.
Storage and Expiry
Store in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap. Use within 2 days.
Make your Family Happy!
Stock up on Peetz S.M.A.R.T (Sorghum, Millet, Arrowroot, brown Rice, Tapioca) Blend for all your baking needs!