Orange Olive Oil Cake
Orange Olive Oil Cake was inpsired by a kitchen experiment at the home of local, Ottawa food photographer Suliman Chadirji. He works quite often with the chefs at Food Marketing Creative, creating stunning food images for clients.
Then, he goes home and imagines recreating everything he tastes at the shoots!
When our jovial owner Peter gave Suliman some Peetz S.M.A.R.T Blend flour to bake with, he let the experiment begin!
Orange Olive Oil Cake
- 9 inch cake pan
- stainless steel bowls
- electric stand mixer
- OR electric hand held mixer
- baking rack
- 10 inch cake plate
- 1¼ cup Peetz S.M.A.R.T Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs large
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, chopped fine chopped fine
- 1 orange sliced into thin rounds, then cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, add the eggs and the sugar.
- Whisk again, until the mix turns a light yellow.
- Drizzle in the olive oil.
- Add the vanilla, orange juice and zest.
- Turn to medium speed and mix until combined.
- Replace the whisk attachment with a paddle.
- Add half of the flour and beat until just combined.
- Pour into a prepared 9-inch cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set on a baking rack. Let the cake cool slightly.
- Unmold the cake and place on a cake plate.
- Decorate with fresh orange slices.
Tips and Tricks
Which kind of olive oil should I use when I bake Orange Olive Oil Cake?
The olive oil you choose for this cake is very important. It affects the taste of the entire cake. Look for one that is mild. And put it to the test!
Take a wine glass and add a small amount of mild olive oil. Swirl it around. Then inhale the aroma. Next give it a taste.
At Enjoy Peetz our preference is Olivo Real Late Harvest Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This Spanish olive oil has won top awards in Italy. Owner and friend Isidro, lives in Ottawa and imports the oil directly from his family’s estate in south Spain. The family has been growing olive trees for decades! Buy it through Isidro at Pepe’s Market.