Orange Almond Scones
Orange Almond Scones are full of protein with the addition of Peetz S.M.A.R.T Blend combined with ground almonds.
These scones are so easy to make. Leave your cookie cutters in the cupboard! Just, roll dough into a round. Flatten slightly. Then cut into eight pieces, just like you would a pie. In fact, it’s as easy as pie!
Once baked, these scones pull apart into perfect triangles. Delicious goodness in every bite!
Be sure to read our Baking Tip below.
Orange Almond Scones
- 1/2 cup almonds blanched and toasted
- 1/2 cup Peetz S.M.A.R.T Blend
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg large
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons zest, chopped fine chopped fine
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper
- Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until a fine flour forms.
- Pour ground almonds into a large bowl.
- Add arrowroot and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut oil, orange juice and zest.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place scones dough in the cake pan lined with a round of parchment paper.
- Flatten and shape into a round approximately the size of the pan.
Peetz S.M.A.R.T Blend Baking Tips for Orange Almond Scones
Can I buy almond flour in store?
Yes, but it will be more expensive and not nearly as fresh as making your own.
How do I blanch almonds?
You can buy blanched almonds, or almonds without the skin at the grocery or specialty store.
To blanch almonds, bring a pot of water to a boil. Then, add the almonds and let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pot from the stovetop and strain almonds.
Rinse the almonds in cold water. Then, place in a tea towel and rub almonds to completely remove the skin.
How do I roast almonds?
Almond can be roasted in the oven or toasted on the stovetop,
To roast almonds in the oven, preheat to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place almonds on top. Roast in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning.
To toast almonds on the stovetop, heat a saucepan over medium high heat. Add almond and stir until the almonds release their nutty aroma. Then, remove from the heat and place in a bowl.
So, is it necessary to roast the almonds in the recipe?
Not at all! But, it does intensify the flavour of the almonds.
Is almond meal different?
Yes, almond meal is made from almonds with the skin on. The almonds are then ground resulting in a coarser textured product. You can use almond meal both store bought or homemade, if you want a bit more bite to your scones.
You may also like Homemade Belgium Waffles.